Roasted Artichokes with Creamy Dairy Free "Cheese" Sauce
How to Prepare the Artichoke Perfectly!
- Cut off the bottom of the stem and then top 1-inch of the top of the artichoke]
- Pluck off and discard any of the lowest leaves near the stem
- Trim off the pointy tops of the artichoke leaves
- Slice the artichokes in half
- Use a spoon to hollow out the “choke” in the middle of each artichoke half
- Try different herb combinations to test which give the most flavor: garlic, basil, marjoram and thyme
- Different methods of cooking the perfect artichoke:
- GRILL each half 4-5 minutes each side until perfectly charred
- OVEN ROASTED at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes
- STEAMED using a steamer or pressure cooker
2 tablespoonOlive Oil
1⁄2 cupCashews, raw
1⁄2 cupCoconut Milk
1 teaspoonDijon Mustard
2 tablespoonNutritional Yeast
- Rub the entire artichoke half on all sides with a lemon wedge (to help prevent browning)
- Brush the artichokes with olive oil Then place them cut-side-up in a baking dish, or on a baking sheet.
- Fill the artichoke cavities with garlic and rosemary. We recommend packing these as full as possible for maximum flavor. .
- Flip the artichokes over. Then brush again with olive oil, season once more with salt and pepper (optional)
- Roast! First, uncovered for about 10 minutes, so that the edges can get browned and crispy. Then, remove the pan and cover loosely with foil, and let the artichokes continue to cook until they are tender. You will know that they are ready when the leaves pull off easily, and a knife can be smoothly inserted in the base of the stem. Cooking time will totally depend upon the size of your artichokes.
- Drizzle with lemon juice.
Creamy Dairy Free 'Cheese' Sauce
- Strain the water from the soaked cashews and pour cashews into a blender or food processor
- Add coconut milk, dijon, yeast & salt, and blend until creamy and well combined, scraping down the sides of the blender/food processor as you process
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|